My husband made a lime & strawberry smoothie recently and we all loved it. I was making a quick smoothie after my work out this morning and wanted something similar. I ended up making everything based around coconut milk and lime juice because it just sounded delicious. 🙂
I got out one of my favorite culinary resources book wise; The Vegetarian Flavor Bible by Karen Page. I looked up limes and the book will list flavors that go well with whatever you are looking for. I ended up with this smoothie:
Lime in the Coconut smoothie
8 ounces coconut milk
1/2 frozen banana
2 hands full spinach
1 scoop of nutrition/protein powder, strawberry flavor
1 cup of ice
Fresh lime juice, 2 limes
I ended up adding some water and 1 tsp. of green tea powder
This smoothie has these possible health benefits:
- reduce arthritis symptoms,
- can help prevent the hardening of arteries,
- can fight cancer cells,
- helps against cold and flu.
- protects the colon,
- good for your heart,
- helps lower high blood pressure,
- helps maintain brain function, memory and mental clarity.
- helps control heart rate and blood pressure,
- helps regulate digestive system,
- the magnesium helps strengthen bones and protects the heart.
I’ve been studying nutrition for 26 years and I have notes from so many sources since I started. I am still so amazed by all there is to learn about nutrition. For the sake of simplicity, I gathered these health benefits from one place in case you’d like to read more on each or all. It is Dr. Mercola’s site, http://www.mercola.com/ .