My daughter and I are nearing the end of our first of a six weeks eating plan. The Eat to Live book by Dr. Fuhrman along with the book (or Kindle download) Eat for Health are filled with information on nutrition.
It has been an interesting week. I have come to the realization that cigarette smoking was not the only thing I developed addictions to. I quit smoking (by the power and grace of God Himself) 11 years ago this January and I have not felt cravings for most of that entire time.
What I have been very surprised to find is that I have experienced similar withdrawl symptoms from foods! I have not eaten much meat at all in quite some time…literally, it has been here and there with the exception of Chick-fil-A sandwiches. I have started wanting meat, meat, meat. Isn’t that something? I am not totally going off of eating meat after this six weeks and will be adding more things back in. Venision will be a blessing so I hope it is a good hunting year for my husband and sons. . .
ANYway, I have (by the way… have not eaten any Chick-fil-A since before starting our diet!) wanted bread intensely and might have walked 500 miles for chocolate at one point.
For the most part… my daughter and I have held in there so far. I have not followed things exactly bec I have had creamer in my coffee and sugar. I was replacing sugar with honey & cinnamon but raw honey is getting expensive and harder to find by the day.
I started out at 211 and I am weighing in at 207 so progress is being made. I am also aiming for an hour of exercise six days a week. I am just moving for a total of an hour… gardening, walking, doing fitness blender warm ups, stretches, work outs and cool downs and things like that. Speaking of fitness blender, if you ever need to exercise your body indoors … check them out. It is an awesome resource and free! Thank you to my son, Matthew and his wife, Ryann for telling me about it quite awhile ago!
Will I ever quit jotting notes down with markers, pens, pencils and highlighters on bits and slips of paper? Yet again, I have planned to share my journey, recipes, and lots more as I go along. I write it down on receipts, the back of bills, post-it notes, index cards, and just about anything with enough space to write on. The problem is… by the time I get on here to gather and share – I don’t know where all of them are!
Let’s see. . . here is a list of what I remember eating from Day 1 to now:
* Salad with sauteed vegetables and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and topped with fresh (cooked) beans.
* Salads with homemade dressing. No oils, sugars, or salt!
* Smoothies with no fat… bananas, greens, oranges, pineapple, water or almond milk and other variations of the same.
* Dr. Fuhrman’s Vegetable Stew (dearly love) but I soaked, sprouted and cooked my beans before adding them to my soup bec it didn’t sound long enough to cook them in the process. I used 2 cups of pinto beans and 1 cup of barley. For the greens, I used Kale instead of Bok Choy bec that is what we had. LOVED IT!
* Raw alredo pasta using zucchini noodles in place of pasta. I topped ours with sauteed (in balsamic vinegar and Worchestershire sauce) mushrooms. SO GOOD.
* Creamy zucchini noodle pasta that isn’t pasta. I want to make this again with more seasoning.
* One of the latest tries: Raw carrot cake! I love it!